This post originally appeared on Emily March Photography.
I really can’t believe how quickly the last six months have flown by! It seems like it was just last week that I was sitting in a ballroom at the Carolina Inn, filling a journal with dreams and ideas that seemed so unreal at the time. Full time? No way. Getting published? Maybe in a couple years.
Making Things Happen changed my life and my business. It helped me learn a lot about myself and what it is that I actually want to do. It gave me a nice big kick in the butt and told me to face my fears because life is too dang short to work around them. It led me to friendships that have grown stronger since those two days. It filled my Instagram and Facebook with women who inspire me and remind me not to compare my story to their’s or anyone else’s. And those women are reaching and working and striving and doing and living and making things happen that six months ago were just ideas on a page. (I’ve listed a few of their blogs on the bottom of this post, so be sure to go see their amazingness!). It’s truly been an incredible journey since last March.
So, in the six months since MTH here are the goals that I reached/things I made happen:
- Get married! Not really a goal, but I wanted our wedding day to be rooted in the Gospel, and oh goodness, the Lord was there and working.
- Get published. This happened three times, and I’m thrilled that I’ve got a few things getting published this fall!
- Do a styled shoot. This was SO MUCH FUN!! Can’t wait to share this with y’all!
- Photograph more weddings in 2013 than I did in 2012.
- Raise my prices and still book weddings.
- Make friends in my industry. Yay for new friends like Allyson of Tailored Occasions and the Goulds of Good Earth Films!
- Consistently set goals each month.
- And the craziest: go full(ish) time! I still do a part time job once or twice a week, but having 4 jobs at the same time was just madness. Can’t believe I ever thought that was a good idea! I’m so happy that 3-4 days of my work week are spent at home doing things for my business!
And in the next six months here are the crazy things I want to do:
- Fill up my 2014 wedding season. I mean like no less than 15-20 weddings.
- Collaborate and at least begin planning/brainstorming another styled shoot.
- Compare myself less to other photographers. This is day-by-day struggle that I hope to really continue working through.
- Have another 3 or so projects/weddings/sessions published.
- Figure out SEO and improve my web presence. This includes things like Twitter (which I’m the worst at), key wording, etc.
- Complete my Power Sheets!
- Continue to work towards the 2013 goals I haven’t reached yet.
- Potentially upgrade my equipment.
- Attend a photography workshop (or save my pennies for one later next year!).
- Train for another half-marathon! Who wants to join me and a few really awesome girls and run one in DC next March??
It’s a little scary to put those all out there because I feel like if y’all stalked me well enough, you’d know in 6 months if I actually accomplished any of them! I suppose that’s kind of the point, though. I really think just saying what you want to do and sharing it with people makes you that much more likely to go out and do it. Accountability. I’m so excited to see what happens over the next six months and how I’ll be challenged and grown and inspired. Let’s do it!
A happy post-MTH Emily. Photo by the lovely Gina Zeidler.