Now is the time to take the leap, ladies!! The Making Things Happen Spring 2018 Intensive tickets are ON SALE NOW! Tickets are temporarily discounted to a special early bird rate (of nearly 50% off!). We do anticipate selling out, as we don’t have a conference this fall, so we recommend reserving your spot as soon as possible!
The Details: March 19-20, 2018 at The Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill, NC
If you are wondering what to expect, you are not alone. The Making Things Happen Intensive is truly a gift: two uninterrupted days to dig deep, reflect, reset, and revitalize your goals and priorities to set yourself on a powerful path toward change.
But MTH is even more than that. This is an invitation into a supportive, encouraging, inspirational community of women who will identify with your struggles, celebrate your victories, and cheer you on well beyond your time in Chapel Hill.
On top of all that, you can expect a few treats from us (and fireside chats in pajamas!) to help you unwind from the hard work of the days’ activities.
To learn more and hear other women’s stories, spend some time with us here and on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter! We hope to see you in March!
There are few things that our team looks forward to more than our Making Things Happen Intensive. This March, we gathered for our one and only intensive this year (a big, but welcome change from our normal schedule), and met a group of women who blew us away by their honesty, passion, and dedication.
If you’ve been to Making Things Happen before or are considering going, you might be familiar with the “I have no idea what this is going to be like, but I am READY” feeling that most attendees arrive with. There’s usually a current of nervous excitement throughout the conference in the hour leading up to our start time. But this spring, something was different. Yes, there was excitement. But the nerves? They were replaced by headstrong readiness and sheer devotion to start living life more intentionally. These women were prepared to dive in!
This year, we welcomed back a powerhouse speaker team. From left to right: Amber Housley, Kristin Winchester, Katelyn James, Carrie Grace, Lara Casey, Randi Smith, Gina Zeidler, Emily Ley, Rhiannon Bosse, Nancy Ray, and Maghon Taylor.
We don’t want Making Things Happen to be a conference defined by speakers talking at you. We want you to do the work right there with us, not when you’ve gotten home and the fire has dulled, or the information has been forgotten. Everyone has the opportunity to stand up and declare what they want to make happen, because we believe there’s power in your voice, and in saying your goals out loud! Another thing we’ve learned? Speaking and standing with open body language. You might be surprised how the simple act of opening up your hands and allowing yourself to be seen and heard will make a difference in the way you feel about your words.
In Day One of the intensive, we dig into the core principles of Making Things Happen: 1. Surrender your fear. 2. Know your purpose. 3. Take action. 4. Cultivate community.
The day is packed with introspection and clearing away distractions from your life. In breakout groups, attendees started to declare the aspects of their lives that needed to be pruned back or tended to for further growth. It’s a moment of clarity and confidence that is followed by writing a note of encouragement to your future self.
We breaked for the day and sent groups on their way to dinner. Afterward, though, attendees were invited back to the conference room for “Fireside Chats” in their pajamas. No, there’s no fire — but it does have the intimate camaraderie and conversation following a life-changing experience. Our Chief Encouragement Officer, Kristin, and our guest speaker, Carrie Grace, lead a conversation among the group to help unwind from the day, process any thoughts or takeaways from the intensive, and offer encouragement for moving forward.
Day Two had attendees bright eyed and ready to go! Tuesday morning is one of our favorite moments of MTH. We see so much clarity and excitement in the eyes of our attendees, new friendships being formed, and fulfilling conversations being had.
One Day Two, we tackled the concept of taking action little by little, defining your why, and setting good goals. Each attendee is equipped with an Action List for them to write action items on throughout the intensive, and a Five Essentials list to help them narrow their focus to things that will help them cultivate the life they want to lead.
Maghon Taylor of All She Wrote Notes, the Southern Weddings team, and Randi Smith of Sugar Euphoria all spoke on growing little by little, challenges and big wins, and doing business with a strong mission at the center of it.
In breakout groups, attendees started creating short term and long term goals. We broke them down into small, actionable steps and anticipated hurdles that need to be overcome.
As we closed out the day, Carrie Grace stood up and read a letter of encouragement to the group.
We ended the day with final declarations — each attendee has the opportunity to voice how they’ve embraced where they are and where they’re going — and a guided visualization of what your life could look like if you surrendered your fear and took action.
Once the intensive was over, it’s time to mingle! We loved meeting and hugging each attendee individually, seeing the conversations and friendships develop between groups, and to hear more of each of your stories.
This intensive was so rewarding and fulfilling, and we walked away with clarity about our paths forward, and excitement for all of you who joined us! We can’t wait until March 2018 for our next intensive!
Right now, we’re packing up our swag items, confirming our schedule with our encouragers, and preparing our hearts to meet dozens of you in just one short week! We can’t wait to uncover goals with you and cheer you on in our two days together.
1. It’s phone-free. Yes, you read that right! Before you enter the conference room, we’ll ask you to turn off your phones and leave them in our care. We firmly believe this time is yours to dig deep, get honest, and leave distractions behind. So many of our attendees leave the conference not wanting to turn their phones back on! We offer an emergency number for baby sitters, spouses, and anyone else who might need to get in immediate contact with you so that you can get the most out of your two days with us.
2. We give you time to think. It sounds simple, doesn’t it? But we think this is a game-changer. Instead of spending two days presenting ideas to you, we want you to participate in the process. We’ll lead you through powerful prompts and activities so that you do the work with us, not after you get home. Throughout the two days, we’ll take focused breaks instead of distracted ones — giving you time to journal your thoughts.
3. You’ll want to leave the heels at home… Get comfy ladies. You’re likely to kick off whatever shoes you’re wearing to curl them up beneath you and your hair is likely to get thrown into a ponytail before the end of the day. MTH isn’t about impressing anyone. It’s about coming as you are to do real and powerful work.
4. …And bring your comfiest pajamas. One of our favorite parts of MTH is our fireside chats on Monday and Tuesday evening! Our Chief Encouragement Officer, Kristin, and one of our speakers, Carrie, host these casual nighttime chats to unwind after conference days and process any thoughts that came to light.
5. We want you to get in community. You’ll be assigned to a small breakout group that’s full of people who are similar to you and want to make similar things happen. We think this is a great way to get more intimate time together, and to create new friendships that reflect your priorities and practice MTH principles. Additionally, you’ll get an accountability partner to follow up with after the intensive, ensuring a new friendship and some extra encouragement on your action list! Finally, while there’s little socializing during the conference, we encourage everyone to get dinner and breakfast together, talk during Fireside Chats, and spend our last hour of the conference getting to know each other!